CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Summer of Learning

Madi learned many new things this summer. She taught herself how to swim. It was fun watching her swim all the way across the pool. But, we are still practicing on taking a breath.


Madi saw her cousins swimming and she was very determined to do it herself. Here is a little bit of an idea of her swimming skills.



I wanted Madi to learn how to tie her shoe before she goes to kindergarten. I dreaded teaching her. I thought it would be hard, but I walked it through with her twice, then watched her do it a few times, now she is doing it all on her own. I am very proud of her. Payton now wants to learn. I walked in on Madi trying to teach Payton the other day.

Madi is reading sight words. You know, the simple words that you see and can't sound out. For example, is, and, the. She can read the sentence dad is the best. I did have to help her with the word best. We practice reading sentences and she is pulling out board books and reading them aloud. We had fun reading her name on many signs all over the country. Madison is written a lot. We did go through 7 states, so I would say we read it about 5 times. On street, park, building, city or county signs. It was fun for her.

Madi also learned what a Port-a-potty is. She had to go to the bathroom BAD! That is what she said. Really she just wanted to see the "new" bathroom. I helped her get on the toilet and then walked out, for all known reasons. She was just taking so long, so I opened the door and there she was pants pulled back up and she was rubbing her hands around the toilet seat. I freaked out! She had to scrub her hands for a long time after that. She is 5 and still eats crayons, licks rocks or walls, and rubs her hands on toilet seats. That is my little girl for you. I just have to love her.

This summer we have also practiced saying prayers. The girls have been saying family prayers, but it dawned on me the other day that they were not saying there individual prayers. So we have been working on that. Madi really seems to be saying it. Payton on the other hand is having a hard time. That is OK though, we are still practicing and she is still young.

I am so proud of Madison and I am excited for her to go to kindergarten and learn new things. I love you Madison!

1 comments:

Logan Family said...

Wow, good job Madi! I'm so impressed with her shoe-tying skills.