CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Baby Iain

Iain was born on September 23. My doctor induced me because of the gestational diabetes. I was to report to the hospital on Thursday the 22 at 10PM. So after not sleeping well the night before, working all day, going to the doctors, going on a mile walk, picking my mom and sister up at the airport and eating dinner, it left us with no time to sit and I was so tired. We got to the hospital at 10, but were informed that they did not have a bed ready for us. They told us we could wait or come back in two hours. We decided it was not worth it to make the 20 minute drive home just to sit for an hour and come back. So we sat in the waiting room. They ended up calling us back at 1AM. They put me in my room and then set to work setting everything up. After asking me 50 questions, which my mom was very helpful for. (I always find out interesting medical history when I have a baby). They finally started the Pitocin at 2:30. By 2:45 my contractions were hard and I was in active labor! I asked the nurse for the epidural. Within 5 minutes my water broke and the nurse still had not come to my room so I paged her again. This time she came running. She told me that the anesthesiologist was on his way. She checked me and I was dilated to a 5. After the epidural was in, the contractions were still hard. She told me to wait a few minutes. I told her the pressure was still 1/3 of what it was and so she paged the anesthesiologist again and he upped my dose. This all happened before 3:30. She checked me again and I was at a 9. She paged the nurses station to call my doctor and stopped my Pitocin. I could feel him crowning, but I was exhausted and with the epidural making me very comfortable, I fell asleep at a 10, with the baby crowning! The doctor showed up at 4:45, she suited up, I pushed twice and he was born into the world at 4:51.

Here I am waiting for the Pitocin, Greg kept making me laugh.

Here is little Iain at 6lbs, 14 oz and 21 inches long. He was so covered in "cheese" I thought he looked like an alien baby at first.
All cleaned up and ready for the world.
They took him from me for 3 hours to check his blood sugar and to clean him up. His blood sugar level was very low when he was born. They had to feed him and check it after two hours. Then they would bring him back to me.
I waited for so long to have him back. I finally fell asleep, Greg apparently decided to take a picture of me sleeping.
My mom and sisters brought the girls later that day. They love their brother. They fight over who is going to hold him and feed him.
I told the girls it was time for Iain to have a break, so I put him in his bassinet and I fell asleep. The girls watched PBS while I slept, but they became concerned when his eyes opened and I was not holding him. They woke me up and told me Iain was awake and that I needed to hold him. I asked if he was crying (Obviously I knew he wasn't, but I was so tired, and I was cranky). Madi told me he wasn't so I told her not to worry, he would be fine and I fell back asleep. So much concern for their little brother.
Emily and Maddox came to visit us in the hospital! Emily watched the girls while I was in labor! Thanks Emily!
My mom came to the hospital with Greg and I. She also has been a big help with the girls, cooking and cleaning my house. Thanks mom!

Sarah also came to visit.
Here is Iain the day he was born! I get so bored in the hospital and I felt great! I got dressed, dressed up Iain and took walks around the hospital! The nurse who helped me out with my delivery said that my delivery was every nurses dream delivery. It went so well. We are glad to be home now and ready to start our new adventure as a family!

6 comments:

Jean said...

Michelle and Greg, he is a beautiful baby. Now I just have to figure out how to pronounce his name.

Logan Family said...

He is adorable Michelle! I'm so glad you put up more pictures!

M-McClellan said...

His name is Ian, just spelled the way they do in England.

Tara L. said...

He is darling!

Melanie said...

Congratulations! He's SO cute! I cannot believe you fell asleep dilated to a 10 AND with him CROWNING! That is just pure awesomeness.

Lisa said...

Yay, thanks for sharing your story and pictures!!! He is SO cute--and the girls look so cute with him!